Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Jungle









I'm working on two larger pieces on John McTiernan's Predator, so I've been immersing myself in the film routinely in recent days (though you could say I've been immersing myself in this film since age ten). Rewatching, rewatching, watching specific clips, watching edits in slow motion, getting a feel. I think it's fair to say I know Predator more intimately than I know any other film. I'll save my larger thoughts on it in the two upcoming pieces. As I was watching this sequence, the simple elegance of these three shots, and their relations to each other, took me aback (a great deal of Predator has this effect on me). I guess I'm leaving this small note as a sister to my Memoirs of an Invisible Man post. The sheer elegance of craft, a simple zoom, something that alone really shouldn't register as profound or worthy of praise, but as wielded by a true artist becomes almost endlessly mysterious and compelling. To give substance and presence to something that isn't there at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment